Monday 15 July 2013

Accessibility

http://edtech2.boisestate.edu/martinmullan/502/accessibility.html

Accessibility is about designing web pages that provide content that is available to the greatest number and type of devices, be they keyboards, screen readers, mobile devices or for low bandwidth connections. It is also equally important that the greatest variety of people are given access to the content of the page. It is the law that designers meet the standards set out in Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act. These standards are summarized on the WebAIM 508 check list page.

I particularly enjoyed testing my page for color contrast and for access by individuals with different types of color blindness. One of my students is purple/blue color blind and this drove me to produce the most attractive but accessible design I could.

I also found the challenge of ensuring that my pages are accessible on as many browsers as possible fun. The websites analyse your design and find any errors. All of my pages are certified for HTML5 and CSS3 compliance.

No comments:

Post a Comment