Sunday 9 March 2014

Relative Advantage of Using Hypermedia in the Classroom

I have no issues with videoing myself; I think I have a face for TV, but I thought given the choice I would ask my colleagues how they used video in their lessons. Some really good ideas came out of this exercise and I think, with their permission, I will share the videos with the school community in order to expose more staff to cool stuff.

My own use of videos in the Science/Biology classroom would fit into various categories: stimulation material, instructional videos for flipping, extending the classroom in a redefinition style, and the use of video created by the students. A recent module, Analytical Chemistry, is all practical involving the students performing particular tests for ions and the use of burettes; the students video everything they do and embed their YouTube clips into a Google Slides presentation which is then assessed for their skills.

Lets hear from some colleagues:

Maths: focus on stimulus material



Physics: Focus on instruction of material that can't be brought into the classroom due to restrictions. Video creation by students.



Art and photography: Focus on instruction of new skills in a flipped format



Modern Foreign Languages: Focus on video creation which is peer assessed, TV programmes from around the world for culture and pronunciation.



Physical Education: Focus on student recording for self assessment using Coach's Eye - slow motion and comparison overlays against experts' techniques



Chemistry: Focus on stimulation material, instruction in flipped lesson format, remediation material as tutorials.


No comments:

Post a Comment