Tuesday 2 December 2014

Networking

The CISCO ICDN 1+2 book is very good, if only 3 inches thick!

The networking course follows this book closely and supports it with links to videos on YouTube. I  enjoyed working through the binary and hexadecimal transformations, and designing the networks.

While the only evidence of this process is the answers to the questions/labs submitted to the course, I have been able to use my new knowledge in school. While trying to do a Google Hangout into school with a colleague and our shared class (I was off campus), we discovered that I could see and hear everything that was going on in the class but they could neither see nor hear me.

After presenting this issue to out school IT helpdesk and suggesting that they trace the packets and ports, the IT team found that both Skype an Google Hangouts were using the same port as the various torrenting sites that the school blocks--they block the port! The "Network Guy" was able to alter the network permissions to all permit the use of the communication apps that we wanted to use.


No comments:

Post a Comment