Tuesday 22 April 2014

Integrating Technology into the Science Classroom: Obstacles and Solutions

I am a science and techie geek; there really isn't another way to describe me. As such, I am always trying out new tech on my students and making suggestions of different tech for them to try out; some are more than willing to give anything a go while others like to stick to what they know - sounds like some of the teachers I know!

For me, it comes down to the culture within the school. If the Head teacher and other Principals are tech advocates and push the use of technology, the teachers will do so too since those Principals will probably have employed staff that are likely to use tech to teach. If all the teachers are techie advocates, the students will come into contact with a positive attitude toward the use of tech and be willing to try new stuff. These observations are anecdotal from my own experience but that is what I have seen.

I teach a Y9 class, 4 GCSE classes, and 2 A Level classes. Of these classes, I get to see the Y9 students twice as much as the others and I like to try out a lot of new stuff with them. I have the time to give the students time to investigate the science problems I give them, indeed, I use inquiry based learning strategies as often as possible with these students and they get to play with dataloggers, laptops, iPads and iPods, and generally present their work however they want. My GCSE classes, on the other hand, only see me twice per week - there simply isn't time in the timetable to give them multiple lessons for each practical investigation.

I am about to teach a lesson on homeostasis and temperature control. Fortunately, I have assess to 12 dataloggers with a large array of probes. Last year, in a 50 minute lesson, I had to teach the students how to use the datalogger, have them use them to gather data and get the data off the devices. Tan et al. (2005) point out that in Singapore’s secondary schools and junior colleges, 84% of the 593 respondents ranked the time spent on setting up datalogging  activities as the number one deterrent to the use of dataloggers. This year I will do things differently as I have adopted a Flipped model of teaching that I use particularly when it comes to practical lessons and the theory that surrounds them. As a result of flipping, I will have "made time" for practical skills in my teaching timetable and given my students more access to the dataloggers.

When I think about the dataloggers and when they arrived in the school, they turned up with no real instructions on their use. I had to take one home and play with it for hours to figure out all its functions. I use a Document Camera to show the students how to use it in class. For me, spending time out of school to help my teaching, and the learning of my students, is normal. If I find a problem with tech I will work at it until I solve it - I get a little obsessed which is why I only work with Google Apps Script on my holidays! Other teachers aren't prepared to give the time to learn new tech by themselves or simply can't do it by themselves - CPD most be considered before and after the introduction/integration of new technology. I know that using the dataloggers in my classes motivates the students to get involved in the practical activities as Le Boniec, Gras-Velázquez and Joyce (2012) provide evidence for in schools form all over Europe, but most apparently in the non-EU schools in Turkey.

I have become a big fan of the Tech PACK model. I aim to influence those members of staff around me to follow its process and identify their knowledge, pedagogical approach and their technology skills when they are planning lessons. If I had a technology coach when I started teaching, I wonder what I would be doing with technology now?

My point is that learning new technology takes time, support, perseverance and a desire to change when there are risks at hand such as the high stakes exams my GCSE and A Level students face.

Zinyahs, M. (2013) lists several obstacles similar to those I have encountered:
  • Limited technical support for ICT in the school.
  • Having limited training of the school staff on ICT low number of computer in the school.
  • Oldness or slowness of the system related to ICT in the system.
  • Low level of training of the teachers and principals in the school.
  • Low level of interest, drive and being open to change of the teachers and principals in the schools.

Zinyahs goes on to mention these possible solutions:
  • ICT education should be included in the educational curriculum including the provision of necessary infrastructural support and massive training and deployment of skilled manpower into both secondary and tertiary institutions;
  • Young software developers should be trained and supported with the necessary equipment to develop nationally usable science education software.
  • The importance of youth participation in ICT decision making process cannot be over emphasized; therefore, their participation in ICT policy making processes at the national and other levels should be encouraged and supported by all stakeholders.
Spektor-Levi, Sonnenshein and Zion (2005) provide evidence that giving technology savvy science teachers access to complex education software without giving them adequate training results in the majority of teachers not using the technology. The authors go on to recommend that teachers are provided with "Training programs and inservice courses" and should be encouraged to use technical and social support to help integrate ICT in science. Social support is an important point and recent advances in our ability to create Personal Learning Networks makes our ability to get support so much more wide reaching. Hennessy, Ruthven and Brindley (2005) agree with this sentiment and offer these suggestions for solutions:


  • To offer teachers opportunities for long-term collegial interaction involving critical reflection, sharing ideas, and research concerning the use of ICT
  • To integrate ICT into schemes of work in ways which satisfy the NC and assist in meeting learning objectives but ensure that use is selective, appropriate and critical
  • To take account of – and build up – pupils’ and teachers’ levels of technological expertise
  • To constantly evaluate the unique contribution of ICT and its specific role in enhancing teaching and learning activity
In summary; time, confidence, and/or a willingness to adopt different pedagogical approaches are necessary to integrate technology and overcome the barriers that are faced in the science classroom.


References:

M. Le Boniec, À. Gras-Velázquez & A. Joyce (2012). Impact of Data Loggers on Science Teaching and Learning. Retrieved from:
http://files.eun.org/netbooks/ACER_Fourier_EUN_Science_pilot_report_2012.pdf.

Hennessy, S., Ruthven, K., & Brindley, S. (2005). Teacher Perspectives On Integrating ICT into Subject Teaching: Commitment, Constraints, Caution, and Change. Journal of Curriculum Studies,37(2), 155-192

Spektor-Levi, O., Sonnenschein, M., & Zion, M. (2005). Technology Integration in Science Studies - Obstacles and Incentives. Science Education International, 18 (3), 211-224.

Tan, K. C. D., Hedberg, J., Koh, T. S., & Seah, W. C. (2005). Datalogging in Singapore Schools:
Supporting effective implementations. Research in Science and Technology Education Journal; in 
press.

Zinyahs, M. (2013). ICT Integration In Science Education In The 21 Cenury. Retrieved from: http://globaleducators.org/downloads/global_voice_of_educators/Journal%202012%20-%2030.pdf.

No comments:

Post a Comment