Monday 21 July 2014

APA style

It has been a year since I have needed to use APA style for citations and references.  In this module I have let myself get royally spanked for getting it wrong; I have an reason, but it is not an excuse!
I have been failing to put page numbers for direct quotes in citations, and I have been leaving off the journal pages from the reference itself! On top of that, I have to admit to using citations from GScholar and Albertson's library without taking the time to double check that they are formatted correctly, particularly the volume and issue number italicization and bracketing :-/ Serves me right for not finding and taking the time to get it correct.

For the final synthesis paper, I decided to start with the format of the paper, citation and referencing all copied into the doc I was writing in; this allowed me to quickly check every time I put a new reference in. 
I have bought a copy of the APA style guide in Ebook format but Kindle won't open on my PC anymore . This is a bit of a problem since I had to use a friend's Amazon account to buy the book; Amazon doesn't like Malaysian credit cards! Fortunately, the Purdue Owl has been useful in getting the basics of APA, and other resources are available online.

One element of citing that I am still uncertain of is referring to an author that is referred to by another author. Example: Author A referred to Author B's study stating "This happened in our research" (Author B, 2000, p15, in Author A, 2014, p20). To paraphrase Yoda; tricky, this is, and I am still not sure that it is correct. Ask for help, I will!



No comments:

Post a Comment