Thursday 31 July 2014

Learning from the PBL Process

When I reflect back on how a project should be run, I realise that I wasn't going into the detail needed nor was I focusing on the correct things i.e. the driving question, the motivating entry event, the scaffolding of the assessments, a detailed plan, and the culminating event. Basically everything.


In another module I designed a digital learning experience that I thought would work as a good project, but I see now from my PBL  work that I was not creating a thorough enough scaffold for my students to use to achieve the goals I had in mind.

The Driving Question has been one of the biggest eye openers for me with this module. I wasn't finding a question that was motivating enough for the students to want to go the extra mile with. On top of this, a weakness in my project has been the entry event. Even up until the peer review, my entry event wasn't very strong, however I think I have found an excellent video that discusses the rather outrageous abuse biotechnology companies are doing to farmers that will hopefully insight students to take action.

I have found the project writing experience very similar to doing a Bernie Dodge webquest. Obviously there are differences but there are elements of a webquest design that I think are rather redundant and repetitive, in the same way, there are parts of the project site that ask for repeats of content they have already been done. When I do this process again in the future, and I will do it, I will cut out the extraneous bits and link the relevant resources to the appropriate writing as I have done in this project. In this way, any of my colleagues viewing the content will have everything they need to run the project in as efficient a format as I can manage.

I have built other project sites in the last year and it is clear that I need to return to them and completely review the motivational attributes and assessment requirements in them. A proper culminating activity needs to be designed so that the students take the tasks more seriously as an authentic audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment