Monday 21 July 2014

Reflecting on my Learning Theories work

I have been looking forward to doing a module on learning theories and doing some reading.
I have found in my work that my ideas about using technology are so far beyond that of my colleagues that they are resistant to my suggestions; the best way I feel I can get my message across is to demonstrate that the ideas I suggest are supported by the community of educational technologists and research.
When I began to read Jonassen and Land's book, I thought "I don't understand a word of this." I was having to read and reread every sentence of their introductory chapter, and look up every other word on order to make sense of what I was reading. Interestingly, reflecting on the issues I have had has made me appreciate Vygotsky's ZPD and the concept of constructing new meaning from previous knowledge and new experience; I have actually felt the cognitive distance between myself and the authors. 
What has been tough is that I have been teaching normally over this compressed summer module and I have struggled to read all of the materials and assimilate the content. On top of this, I have had a one week school trip where I had very little time to do my work; while I knew this might happen, had I been more aware of the cognitive load and time that the module required, I would have chosen to do the module in the Fall or Spring semesters when I would have had the time to think about my thinking and the content of the readings as they pertain to my work. 
So far, I don't feel like I am performing at my best.

No comments:

Post a Comment